Re: licensing of XMPP specifications

Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:
>   Today the "software" comprising the carefully planned interpretive
>   routines, compilers, and other aspects of automative programming are
>   at least as important to the modern electronic calculator as its
>   "hardware" of tubes, transistors, wires, tapes and the like.
>   [ from http://www.maa.org/mathland/mathtrek_7_31_00.html ]
>
> Note the "carefully planned _interpretive_ (etc)" and "aspects of
> automative programming" parts of Tukey's definition.  At least in that
> early, contrasted-with-hardware meaning, software was definitely not a
> general term for information, but a name for the instructions that
> produced function and results from a computer.  Is there some earlier
> use of the word that is broader?

Software seems to have been created for those cases when the then-popular
'stored program' was inadequate.  I think the contrast with hardware
dominates the list of examples in the article.

Anyway, for this case, note the 'other aspects' part - is a specification
an aspect of programming?  I think so.

I suspect the context of the article itself makes this more obvious and
motivated my post to this list on 2003-03-22 about the above article,
but I no longer have access to JStor to check it.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef