Re: Licensing of iso-codes

Tobias Toedter wrote:
Hi,

we, the maintainers of iso-codes[1], are currently discussing a
licensing issue and are seeking some opinions from -legal subscribers.

The problem is as follows: The package iso-codes provides XML files
with certain ISO lists (e.g. language codes, country codes etc.) and
translations of those lists in .mo form. We do not provide a library or
any other program for accessing that data, just the data itself.

Would it be possible for non-free programs to use that data (XML files
and translations) if iso-codes is licensed under GPL? Or would we need
to use the LGPL for this?

I don't understand the purpose of your question ;-)

If you want that non free program will use your XML, why do
you publish it with a GPL or LGPL license?  I think
it is better to publish it in public domain on with one
simple BSD or MIT license.

Note: you question is about linking part of GPL, but if an non free
program could use the code, it could also uses a second override file,
so the modifing protection of GPL become inefective.

or I missed something?

ciao
	cate

PS: IANAL