Re: GPL V2 and GPLv3

Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:

> Peter S Galbraith writes:
>
> > So I'm fine using GPL-v2 code with GPL-v3 libraries as long as (1)
> > there's a GPL-v2 version of the libraries with the same interface, such
> > that (2) the GPL-v2 code does not need to be modified to run on the
> > GPL-v3 version of the libraries?
>
> That is my conclusion and I would use that rule for myself.  I am not
> a lawyer, so I cannot offer legal advice to anyone else, and the
> standard other disclaimers apply.

Thanks.  If that's the case, one could get lucky and have code that
works for another decade.  It depends on how "stable" the library is.

I'll likely ask RMS what he thinks, but I'll try to dig up an email
discussion we had about a similar situation first.  I'll be sure to
mention your interpretation.

Peter