Re: Why is firebird in Debian?

On 7/26/07, Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:18:29 -0700 Sean Kellogg wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 July 2007 10:56:41 pm Walter Landry wrote:
[...]
> > The problem is that we are then gambling with other people's money.
> > Coupling that with the wide range of wacky things that copyright
> > holders have done in the past makes me consider any decision more
> > seriously.  Remember, for this code in particular, the copyright
> > holder tried to take it back out of circulation.  Normally you might
> > rely on the good will of the copyright holder to not enforce strange
> > clauses in the license, but you can not make that assumption here.
>
> I think earlier in my email I tried to distance myself from this
> particular  license issue and be more general about the whole thing.
> There may be  excellent reasons in this particular case to worry about
> license issues,  and certainly that the copyright holder stopped
> releasing the code under  the GPL is a warning flag.
[...]

Wait, wait!
What are we talking about, again?
Firebird was released under the terms of the GNU GPL, you say?
That's new to me.

Or did you mean to write *M*PL?

You are, of course, correct...  that'll teach me to post late at night.

--
Sean Kellogg
e: skellogg@gmail.com

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to treat everything
as if it were a nail."
    -- Abraham Maslow