Re: Final text of GPL v3

Sean Kellogg <skellogg@gmail.com> writes:

> Francesco...  as I've said on this list before, "IANAL" is not a
> sufficient disclaimer.  Nor is saying "this is not legal advice."
> There are laws, criminal laws, against the providing of legal advice
> by those who not certified by the Bar Association within the
> jurisdiction the advice is given in.  There is no exception provided
> by adding disclaimers, there is only the question of whether or not
> legal advice was given.

There are also conventions in normal discourse, and "IANAL", expanded
to "I am not a lawyer", is commonly understood to be shorthand for
"... and therefore am not qualified to give legal advice; if you want
legal advice, ask a lawyer, which I, as previously explained, am not".

If the choice is between continuing to discuss without that acronym
spelled out in full every message, or eliding it as understood, I
far prefer the latter.

--
 \     "Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands |
  `\                                          it."  -- Albert Einstein |