Replies from linux.* (was: Final text of GPL v3)

[cc'd to curiosa because I'm not sure where else it should go and
replies there and cc'd to me, not to -legal, please]

Iain Nicol <iain@thenicols.net> wrote:
> (First: apologies. This message probably won't thread properly. This is
> because I reading this list via Usenet, but because the Usenet gateway
> is, I presume, one-way gateway, I have to reply via the list email
> address. The trouble is my email client has no message to reply to,
> because it's not my NNTP client.)

The gateway is two way, but you need to register with Marco d'Itri's
linux-gate service at
http://lists.bofh.it/listinfo/linux-gate
- you should have been told that by your newsserver, IIRC.

Alternatively, save the message to a file, strip the X-Original- parts
from some headers and delete the original Date, References and Message-Id.
With sed, I think it's something like this:

#!/bin/sed -f
1i\
>From news  Thu Mar 22 12:59:12 2007
/^\(Date\|References\|Message-Id\)/I,/^\([A-Z]\|$\)/d
/^X-Original-/s///

Then open that as a mailbox and you should be able to reply properly.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef