Re: Bacula: GPL and OpenSSL

John Goerzen writes:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 10:21:29PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>>
>> In the mean time, I sincerely hope that Debian finds some way to continue
>> releasing Bacula.
>
> It sounds like Debian will simply have to disable the SSL support in
> Bacula, yes?  (this is a question to -legal)

Barring other solutions, yes.  But I hope there is a solution:

libgnutls has an OpenSSL compatibility mode.  I don't know if it
provides all the features that Bacula requires; in my software it was
easy to add a configure-time choice between the two.  Since gnutls is
licensed under LGPLv2.1+ and GPLv2+ (varying by component), there
should be no license concerns when using it with other GPLed code.

Having already put my foot in this mess, I will try that out with the
goal of producing patches this weekend, unless Kern, John or someone
else prefers to investigate for themselves.  I may miss some run-time
cases (I don't currently use Bacula), but hopefully the input is
useful to Kern and to Debian.

Further discussion of that is a bit off-topic for -legal; I can post
questions to bacula-devel and patches to SourceForge.  John, should I
post the patches somewhere for your (or other maintainers') benefit?

Michael Poole