Re: Computer with Debian preinstalled

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 07:17:44PM +0100, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
> If you're selling PCs as a business, YOU CAN'T say "go to debian.org"
> (or you might be able to but you're taking a massive risk!)
>
> If I give a PC with Debian pre-installed to a friend, I can say "go to
> Debian.org" because I'm covered by the non-commercial bit.

If you are talking about the GPLv2, I'll have to disagree. You are only
covered by clause 3c when you have received the promise for source code
as of 3b. But since Debian offers you access to copy the source code by
the same designated place as the binary you copied, it has distributed
you the source code as of 3a.

Some people usually mirror only binaries and they are distributing as of
3b. I still usually recommend these people to include sources. If they
do not have enough storage, they should remove some binaries. This way
they are protected.

That is the same recommendation you and some other people just did to
this case. If you can't provide source code whithin three years of last
distributing the binaries, you are in a bad situation.