Re: First draft of AGPL v3

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:13:30 +0200, Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> wrote:

But surely the entire point in question is whether presenting the UI to someone across the network is conveying or not? GPLv3 says it isn't, AGPL says it is.

Perhaps it would be better (in respect of this particular question) if the AGPL extra clause said simply:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of this License, if a user interacts with the program remotely through a computer network, then that is considered an act of conveying." (i.e. change the definition of conveying in section 0.)

That still leaves open the question of what it means to "interact" with
the progam.
How many steps removed can it be? If I interact with an ATM that communicates
with a server that requrests data from a web service that uses a database
that is covered by the AGPL ... am I interacting with it? Is it being coveyed?
What if the AGPL is in the web service? It still has no UI itself. Is the
ATM customer interacting with that?
If not, the AGPL would be trivial to cicumvent by splitting the covered
part into a separate component without a UI and interacting with it
"remotely".

/L
--
Lasse R. Nielsen - atwork@infimum.dk
 'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine'