Re: Request for suggestions of DFSG-free documentation licences

Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com> wrote: [...]
> Kinda, but not really. It seems that Debian's objections against the
> GFDL are highly academic and unlikely to arise in practice. I mean,
> how many of those objections have actually worked against Wikipedia,
> the largest collection of "software" (as Debian calls it) under the
> GFDL? [...]

Is this a joke?

Have people forgotten Wikipedia unilaterally relicensed without getting
consent from its copyright holders?  See near the end of
The linked emails now seem to be
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2001-October/000627.html
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2002-June/002251.html
but Wikipedia URIs are not Cool http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI

Perhaps some would call this academic, but then perhaps some call any
copyright infringment which is not prosecuted an academic worry.  Should
non-enforcement encourage us to ignore the expressed wishes?

> Small excerpts (e.g. an Emacs reference card from the Emacs info docs)
> are probably covered under Fair Use. [...]

This is England calling.  I don't get what USians call Fair Use.  The FDL
is a practical problem in several ways, including reference cards,
poison pill invariant sections and inability to fix some sections.

> [...] Debian
> really is the odd distro out here by considering GFDL docs non-free.

Not even RMS or the FSF calls the FDL a Free Software licence.

> [...]
>      FSF: Er... Maybe we can work something out?
>
>      Debian: What? Wait, I'm busy... There! Your filthy propaganda has
>      been moved to non-free. [...]

This is wrong.  Debian delayed moving FDL'd stuff to non-free for over a
year after the problem was noticed, waiting on promised FSF cooperation.
I think a full release went out in the meantime.  As I understand it,
it was FSF asking us to wait because they were busy with things and then
the GPLv3.

I think the Debian project was more than willing to help resolve this
amicably, but FSF seemed determined to keep the non-free-software aspects
of FDL and was just yanking our chain.  Even then, some FDL'd
material got a special approval into main.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef