Re: discussion with the FSF: GPLv3, GFDL, Nexenta

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 10:13:56AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > debian-devel re-added.
> > > I do *not* agree that the CDDL meets the DFSG, especially when a choice
> > > of venue is in place.

> > That a poster to debian-legal doesn't think a license meets the DFSG
> > isn't particularly useful information, and is even less so when that
> > poster isn't a DD, a maintainer or someone in the n-m queue.

> It's not like there aren't DDs who feel that it isn't DFSG free; Steve
> Langasek and myself have consistently argued against it, and I doubt
> we're the only two.

Yes, I think that licensor-oriented choice of venue clauses in free software
licenses are at best a bug, and at worst make the license fail the intent of
the DFSG.

However, the ftpmasters appear to disagree, and the practical consequences
of these clauses do not appear so great (nor so persuasive) that I feel the
need to insist there's been an error.

Cheers,