Re: discussion with the FSF: GPLv3, GFDL, Nexenta

reopen 350624

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007, Don Armstrong wrote:
> That said, can the ftpmaster who approved the inclusion of star in
> main speak up and give their rationale?

Actually, I must take this back; it's almost certain that ftpmaster
did not approve this, because the work when originally included in
Debian (S tar 1.4.3) was only licensed under the GPL [From star.c]:

 *      Copyright (c) 1985, 88-90, 92-96, 98, 99, 2000-2002 J. Schilling
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
 * the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
 * any later version.
 * You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with
 * this program; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.

I'm not entirely sure that it would have been found acceptable had it
gone through NEW with its current license.

Don Armstrong

Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for
the people.
 -- Oscar Wilde