Re: discussion with the FSF: GPLv3, GFDL, Nexenta

On May 24, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:

> The DFSG is a set of guidelines; there are many things that licenses
> can do which would be anathema to Free Software but are not
> specifically excluded by the DFSG.
But still, the first two sentences of the SC read:

   "We provide the guidelines that we use to determine if a work is
   "free" in the document entitled "The Debian Free Software Guidelines".
   We promise that the Debian system and all its components will be free
   according to these guidelines.

I do not see other criteria listed.

> That said, the typical argument is
> that giving up your right to have cases tried in your local venue is a
> fee or royalty, and as such violates DFSG ?1.
And typically I disagree with such an argument, for the reason that this
is not a fee nor a royalty and so stays outside the scope of the DFSG.

--
ciao,
Marco