Re: CC Sampling Plus 1.0

Terry, please follow
<URL:http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct>. In
particular, don't send a copy of messages to my email address; I have
not asked you to do so.

Terry Hancock <hancock@anansispaceworks.com> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> >>  [CC Sampling Plus 1.0 license clause re. derivative works]
> >
> > Trivially non-free. The DFSG freedom to create a derived work is
> > the freedom to create *any* derived work, not some limited subset
> > as defined in this license.
>
> I agree.
>
> However, I do have a question about this ...
>
> If I myself have sampled from a CC sampling plus work in producing a
> new work, I am under the impression that I'm pretty free to
> re-license as I please.

I don't see anything in the license that grants that freedom. The only
part that allows redistribution is quite explicit that it must be
under the terms of this license, and not "sublicense":

=====
3. License Grant & Restrictions. Subject to the terms and conditions
   of this License, Licensor hereby grants You a worldwide,
   royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual (for the duration of the
   applicable copyright) license to exercise the rights in the Work as
   stated below on the conditions as stated below:

   [...]
   e. Attribution and Notice.

      [...]
         ii. You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform or
         publicly digitally perform the Work only under the terms of
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
         this License, and You must include a copy of, or the Uniform
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
         Resource Identifier for, this License with every copy or
         phonorecord of the Work or Derivative Work You distribute,
         publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally
         perform. You may not offer or impose any terms on the Work
         that alter or restrict the terms of this License or the
         recipients' exercise of the rights granted hereunder. You may
                                                               ^^^^^^^
         not sublicense the Work. You must keep intact all notices
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
         that refer to this License and to the disclaimer of
         warranties. You may not distribute, publicly display,
         publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work with
         any technological measures that control access of use of the
         Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this
         License. The above applies to the Work as incorporated in a
         Collective Work, but this does not require the Collective
         Work apart from the Work itself to be made subject to the
         terms of this License. Upon notice from any Licensor You
         must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Derivative
         Work or Collective Work any reference to such Licensor or the
         Original Author, as requested.
=====

--
 \        "The World is not dangerous because of those who do harm but |
  `\      because of those who look at it without doing anything."  -- |