Re: (C) vs ©

Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa@gmail.com> writes:

> I have heard that in copyright declarations like:
> Copyright (C) 2007, Company X, Country Y. All rights reserved.
> -----------
>
> it is incorrect to use (C) in place of the symbol © which is the
> strict copyright symbol. Is this so? If yes, why?

It's possibly not a valid copyright indicator. The © symbol is
unambiguous under the law, and thus preferred.

> Further, whether (C) or ©, isn't it superfluous to use it after the
> word "copyright" which itself means the same thing?

Superfluous, yes. It is often helpful to the reader though. I
recommend having the notice give the full "Copyright © 2007 Foo Bar"
form, unless there are extreme issues of space.

IANAL, TINLA.

--
 \       "I bet one legend that keeps recurring throughout history, in |
  `\           every culture, is the story of Popeye."  -- Jack Handey |