Re: GCC's manpage refers to sections that aren't in the manpage

MJ Ray wote:
[The state of the GCC manpage] probably means that the GCC maintainers have
misused the FDL by accident, similar to the GDB maintainers in the past.
[...]
please research whether the GCC
maintainers know that using the FDL for a manpage has problems.  Some GNU
projects use info files, so maybe the manpage in non-free was not made
by them - in which case, it says nothing about the GNU FDL fiasco.
If it is their man page, then it means yet another mature GNU project
has been confused by the FDL.

GCC's manpages are mechanically generated from its info files.  We
asked the FSF how to apply the GFDL and were told that the *entire
collection of manpages* counted as the Work, so it was okay to put the
Invariant Sections in separate manpages.  See
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-11/msg00311.html et seq.

I'm not a fan of the GFDL, and I'm very happy to see Debian finally
throwing all of the FSF's documentation into non-free where it
belongs, but I don't think you need to worry about GFDL manpages being
undistributable (at least, as long as they come from FSF projects; one
could easily have a copyright holder not buy the above reasoning).

zw