Re: Request for GR: clarifying the license text licensing / freeness issue

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 08:44:30AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Personally, I don't see "distributing non-modifiable license texts"
> > to be "violating the social contract".
>
> I'm curious to know how you reconcile Social Contract §1 and DFSG §3,
> and the fact that we distribute non-modifiable texts in Debian.

I don't. Why?

It's pretty simple, really: Debian is about Free Software. Not about
"Free License Texts". To be able to distrubite this Free Software, we
need to distribute the license texts with which they come, too.

I mean, sure, those eight paragraphs that introduce the GPL are not
modifiable. Big deal.

--
Shaw's Principle:
	Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will