Re: Request for GR: clarifying the license text licensing / freeness issue

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 08:24:39AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > > There's a difference between idealism and lying about adhering to
> > > one's ideals.
> >
> > Yeah, and we're not lying about adhering to our ideals simply by
> > distributing the obligatory license data. If we weren't doing that,
> > we'd have no product of our ideals because we couldn't distribute
> > it.
>
> That's a false dichotomy. It ignores the option to tell the truth:
> i.e., to make our promise match our behaviour, if we feel that
> behaviour is right.

Again the "truth". We're not getting anywhere with this.

imagining notes saying "you need to be able to read and write in order to
use our mailing lists", because otherwise we're being dishonest to all
those poor users who expect us to tell the truth about it

     2. That which causes joy or happiness.