Re: Request for GR: clarifying the license text licensing / freeness issue

In message <20070420023148.GA4784@bitsy-cocoa.dyndns.org>, Nathanael Nerode <neroden@fastmail.fm> writes
Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
Licence documents MUST be invariant. They are legal documents, with
legal force, and you're trying to give the recipient the right to mess
about with them!

No, you're wrong.  This is a FAQ.  There's a difference between
changing the license for a work (impossible) and creating derivative
licenses (possible and even desirable).

The rest of your message is irrelevant because of your basic
misunderstanding.

You mean the fact that I "misunderstand" the recipients' right to copy and re-use the text of eg the GPL?

If I'm misunderstanding the OP, then I think the OP is misunderstanding the problem! The OP is, I believe, arguing "you cannot modify the GPL". AIUI, you *can* modify the GPL. You just then can't *call* it the GPL, which is a trademark issue not a copyright issue.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony@thewolery.demon.co.uk