Re: Debian-approved creative/content license?

Ken Arromdee wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, Francesco Poli wrote:
>
>> In order to release the audio/video recording in a DFSG-free manner,
>> they should release the source as well, as defined in the GNU GPL v2.
>>
>> Wonderful!  That is a feature of the GPL, not a bug!
>> Recipients should not be in a position of disadvantage with respect to
>> original authors, or otherwise it's not really Free Software.
>>

> It's a bug.  If the original author puts a video under GPL and doesn't
> release the "source", you can't demand it.  He's not bound by the GPL since
> he can't violate the copyright on his own work, so he has no obligation to
> give you anything.
>
> So the result is that you can't demand source and can't distribute the work
> either.  That doesn't give free software the least bit of benefit.
>
> The problem with "source" for audio or video files is that the source is
> much larger and much more awkward to distribute than the final result.  It's
> plausible that the author doesn't care what you do with his work, but doesn't
> want to give you these files simply because it's a lot of trouble.  If he
> then puts his work under GPL, he may not even realize that he's given you
> no permission to redistribute at all.

Also, it's very possible that stuff no longer exists. I know that when I
do an audio project (quite infrequently), once I'm satisfied with the
result, I toss away all the intermediate stuff (audacity project files
and the like) and only keep the finished (wav/mp3/whatever).