Re: Java in Debian advice result

On 2/28/07, John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:

to summarize the situation here.  SPI's attorney has asked that his
messages not be posted to public mailing lists for reasons of
attorney-client privilege.

Please could you elaborate on whom this secrecy is intended to
protect, and in what way?

I thought attorney-client privilege was a mechanism intended to
protect sensitive information disclosed by the client to the attorney
(facilitating honest and open communication without the client having
to worry about information being leaked to enemies, competitors or the
authorities). Assuming this is the case, it seems a bit strange that
the request for secrecy should be coming from the *attorney*'s side...

I could well be talking bollocks here, and I apologise in advance if
that's the case, but I have to say that that's the inference I got.
Clarification welcome.

Cheers,

--
Andrew Saunders