Re: What does "most recent GPL" mean?

On 02/14/07 13:07, Francesco Poli wrote:

> I'm going to file a (normal severity) bug against the bootcd package to
> request that the license statement is clarified.

It would be a good idea to put together a standard template for both
the preferred content of the debian/copyright file and a well written
email for responding to package maintainers. Specifically a well
written email would be useful because raising legal issues is often a
cause of irritation amongst people that would rather just get things
done! If they just had something they could paste into the file that
would be helpful.

In general, it would have been useful to know that directly below the
"most recent GPL" line was the text:

On Debian GNU/Linux systems, the complete text of the GNU General
Public License can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL'.

I think it would have taken only a few seconds then for many people to
mention this is very likely a simple "communication/knowledge error"
of the package maintainer and probably not something that needed to
expend any of FSF's legal resources. IMHO.