Re: Creative Commons Attribution 2.5

"Matthew Johnson" <debian@matthew.ath.cx> wrote in message [🔎] Pine.LNX.4.63.0702081410240.3582@illythia.matthew.ath.cx">news:[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.63.0702081410240.3582@illythia.matthew.ath.cx...

I've seen a previous review from debian legal about the Creative Commons
licences which renders them non free. However, I've just come across a licence claiming to be "Creative Commons Deed Attribution 2.5" which is considerably shorter and afaict is free. I wanted to check here before packaging, however. The relevant segment is included here and the full copying.txt is attached. We
are aware that the songs and fonts need replacing before packaging.

Well that is just the non-legalese synopsis of the CC-by-2.5.
It was not intended to be used as an actual licence text.
It certainly can be used as a licence text. (Just about anything can be).

It is also reasonable likely to hold up it court.
It does lack some of the legal protections the legal text has,
such as the warrenty disclaimer, but I suspect that a court would treat it as
equivlent to the Expat licence, except perhaps in the case of a warrenty
dispute.

However, It is not clear if copyright holder intended to licence the works using the text of the dead as the licence, rather than using the actual licence itself.