Re: creative commons

Jeff Carr <basilarchia@gmail.com> wrote: [...]
> It seems to me the CC is written with the same kind of mentality and
> intentions that the DFSG was written. [...]

Hardly.  CC fans seem to see nothing wrong with discriminating against any
field of endeavour, such as commerce or technical protection.

It may be that the intent behind some of those is to close off problematic
effects, but the implementations block whole fields.  CC snatch defeat from
the jaws of victory, in a way.

Also, there has been significant variation between the different CC
theoretically-equivalent licences.  Sometimes this has been helpful (such as
the Scottish plain-English licence) and sometimes it has not (such as the
English/Welsh CC supertrademark).  Each one needs to be checked anew:
ShareAlike can be replaced by another version of it.  Not a copyleft?

> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2006/10/msg00167.html
> > http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2006-November/004472.html
> > http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2006-December/004779.html
> > for further details.
>
> Well, these are a bit extreme I think. I'm not finding the arguments
> convincing.

Care to explain?

--
MJR/slef