Re: GFDL v2 draft 1 analysis [long]

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 23:42:05 +0000 (GMT) MJ Ray wrote:

> Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it>
> > >
> > > That's probably accurate too, yes.
> >
> > OK, I'm going to use that tagline for my comments (as soon as I
> > submit them to the FSF).
>
> Belatedly, I remember the problem with that: FSF has some different
> but undefined interpretation of 'free' for documentation, which is why
> they call it the Free Documentation License with a straight face.

You yourself admit that this interpretation is undefined.
AFAICT, the FSF has a secret undisclosed theory on the definition of
"Free Documentation": it starts in a manner similar to the definition of
Free Software and then goes on with unbacked arguments about
"differences" between software (by which the FSF actually means
"programs" and nothing else) and documentation. The final result is the
GFDL text we all know, which is claimed to be suitable for releasing
"Free Documentation".

As far as publicly disclosed information is concerned, it seems that the
theory is, more or less, that the GFDL is, *by definition*, a license
suitable for "Free Documentation".

I obviously avoided following these theories when I drafted my analysis:
otherwise, I would have concluded that everything is fine, that the GFDL
is a perfect license and hooray for the FSF!

 ;-)  err, no, actually  :-(

I instead drafted my analysis on the basis of my understanding of what
is Free Software.

> Allows modified versions to be more restricted?

It's really too long as a tagline, IMHO.

What about "You can add restrictions" ?

--
But it is also tradition that times *must* and always
do change, my friend.   -- from _Coming to America_