Re: GFDL v2 draft 1 analysis [long]

On 12/10/06, Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
Well, does a "Published by anonymous" statement "crearly and legibly
identify you as the publisher" ?
I really doubt...

Hence, I'm not so sure that anonymous publication is possible.
As for pseudonymous publication (which is something different, let's
remember), I don't know whether a "Published by BlackStar" statement
satifies the clause... maybe, or maybe not... more probably not...

If 'BlackStar' can be traced easily to a person, then I suppose it
does. e.g. if the work is distributed among a small group where one of
them has that as a nickname or something. Or if the work actually
lists some contact details - phone, post, email, etc.

> > [...]
> > > If the Modified Version includes Ancillary Sections that contain
> > > no=20 material copied from the Work, you may at your option
> > > designate some=20 or all of these sections as invariant.
> >
> > :::: Kills copyleft: anyone can add "Invariant Sections" to a GFDLed
> > work
>
> No, it's still copyleft, because it's still distributable under the
> same licence.  However, it can go non-free, because FDL is not
> necessarily free. Indeed, the copyleft means that the Invariant
> Section propaganda is always present.  It's a copyleft, just not a
> sort that helps free software.

Does "copyleft" mean that modified versions must stay under the same
license?
Or does it mean that no additional restrictions may be placed on
modified versions?

I think that the keystone of copyleft is the latter, not the former.
Or otherwise the LGPL would *not* be a (weak) copyleft license, as it
has a conversion-to-GPL clause.

Um, the GPL is *more* restrictive than the LGPL. So modified versions
can *remove* the permission to link with proprietary software. (I
realise what you mean, but LGPL->GPL isn't the best example...)

--
Andrew Donnellan
-- Email - ajdlinuxATgmailDOTcom (primary)