Re: Elive requires donation to download

On Fri, 2006-24-11 at 07:08 -0800, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Elive <http://www.elivecd.org/gb/Download/Stable/>, based on Debian,
> requires a donation, however small, to allow downloading the stable
> version.
> I wonder if this legally sound.

Is that just wondering out loud, or a particular question? I think it
should be fine license-wise, except if they've included any
"non-commercial" hoohaw from non-free.

Probably the only potential sticking point is making source code
available, for those packages that have licenses that require source
code availability at no cost. I think that if you don't have to pay an
additional fee, on top of the first donation, to get the source code,
they should probably be in the clear.

-Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@debian.org>