Re: New licensing of Adobe Utopia fonts

Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> forwarded:
> Adobe Systems Incorporated ("Adobe") hereby grants to the TeX Users
> Group [...]

This licence isn't a general public licence.  We can't use it.  BUT:

> The TeX Users Group is also permitted to sublicense, and grant
> such sublicensees the right to further sublicense, any or all the
> foregoing rights through multiple tiers of distribution.

If TUG will license it freely, then it seems OK, as long as:

> [...] The TeX Users
> Group agrees that Adobe and its suppliers are the sole and exclusive
> owners of all rights, title and interest, including all copyrights,
> patents, trademarks, trade names, trade secrets and other intellectual
> property rights in the Software.

This is only about the Software as released by Adobe, not any
modifications.

> The Adobe trademarks shall not be used in advertising pertaining to the
> distribution of the Software without express prior permission from
> Adobe. Any such use shall be in accordance with the Adobe trademark
> guidelines, available on the Adobe website at
> http://www.adobe.com/misc/pdfs/TM GuideforThirdPartiesFinal.pdf.
> If any portion of the Software is changed, it cannot be marketed under
> Adobe's trademarks unless Adobe, in its sole discretion, approves by a
> prior writing the quality of the resulting implementation.

Yet another potted trademark law(!)  Seems like a no-op?

So, yes, this could be helpful for free software very easily, as
long as TUG sublicenses to the general public nicely.

Hope that helps,
--
MJR/slef