Re: photo licenses

"Ben Finney" <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> wrote in message [🔎] 87odrimata.fsf@benfinney.id.au">news:[🔎] 87odrimata.fsf@benfinney.id.au...
Maarten de Boer <mdeboer@iua.upf.edu> writes:

Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> If you want to allow just about any use of the work, while still
> retaining copyright, you can distribute your work under the Expat
> license.
>
>     <URL:http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt>

Which also talks explicitely about software...

That's only a problem if your definition of "software" is too narrow
to include "any information stored digitally".

Note that one reason I recommended the terms of that license for your
photographic work is that it doesn't mention "source" or "program".

Also, If the person is still concerned about other people interpreting the word "Software" too narrowly, it would be within reason to use the Expat licence with the word "Software" replaced with something else suitable.

It is preferable to avoid that, as it is a form of licence proliferation, but I think it generally agreed that if somebody wishes to use a non-standard licence, creating the licence by making only small changes to a well established licence is better than
writing a new one from scratch. (More likely to result in a free licence.)

IANAL, IANADD