Re: compatibility of bsd and gpl

On 10/9/06, Arnoud Engelfriet <arnoud@engelfriet.net> wrote:
Matthew Wala wrote:
> Is clause 3 of the BSD license ("The name of the author...") GPL-compatible?

Yes, because GPL article 1 has a corresponding requirement.
So there is no conflict in licensing terms, and therefore
you can release the whole under the GPLv2 license terms.

I don't see any such requirement in GPLv2[1] article 1:
: 1.  You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code
: as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and
: appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and
: disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this
: License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients
: of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program.
:
: You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you
: may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

I don't see there anything which says anything like BSD[2] clause 3:
: Neither the name of the <ORGANIZATION> nor the names of its contributors
: may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
: without specific prior written permission.

Is there a good reason why this isn't considered an additional restriction?

[1] http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
[2] http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

--
Markus Laire