Re: Kernel Firmware issue: are GPLed sourceless firmwares legal to distribute ?

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> The *relevant* claim I have made is that it is
> inappropriate to use our GR mechanism to attempt to *decide* whether GPLed
> drivers cause a distribution problem.  The release team, the ftp team, and I
> suspect even most of the kernel team have no interest in a GR that
> authorizes any distribution of software which it at the same time asserts is
> illegal.

Thank you for making this claim public on this list (where it belongs).
I think it's an important point, and if you've already said this to Sven
some time ago in a different medium, then I understand the reactions of
some people towards him.

> I have previously given my own understanding of why it is not a problem for
> us to distribute GPLed firmware blobs pending license clarifications, but I
> don't see any indication that Sven is interested in understanding that POV,
> only in tilting at strawmen; so I don't intend to lose any more time on
> discussing this point beyond this single clarification email.

It has already clarified much, and since I personally trust you, I don't
insist on your repeating the explanation.  However, I'd like to point
out that other people are trying to follow this discussion, too.  I
don't think that your previous explanation was posted to -vote, which
IMHO is the relevant list for such discussions.

I feel it's particularly hard this time to follow the discussion; with
no other GR have there been so many "this has been said elsewhere"
(where? IRC?)  statements by so many people, without trying to sum up on
a web page or similar.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster