Re: Kernel Firmware issue: are GPLed sourceless firmwares legal to distribute ?

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> The main point is that the actual reason for this mess is that those vendors
> provided these firmware blobs without thinking of the implication, and the
> upstream kernel folk took them in because it was more convenient to consider
> them as "data" (to the kernel). So, the implicit placement of these binary
> blobs under the GPL is an oversight, not something willingly done by the
> firmware copyright holders.

Can't we just split these (two) problematic parts into separate
packages which remain in main? That way we most certainly can
redistribute them and we would only break the DFSG, which is purely
internal matter and would be resolved before the etch+1 release.

--
* Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology (T.P)  *
*           PGP public key available @ http://www.iki.fi/killer           *