Re: public domain, take ?$B!g

On 9/26/06, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
Andrew Donnellan <ajdlinux@gmail.com> wrote:
> The standard replacement for this problem is something along the lines
> of: "The author(s) of this script expressly place it in the public
> domain. In jurisdictions where this is not legally possible, the
> author(s) place no restrictions on this script's usage."

Where is that standardised?  For English authors, I'd prefer the OP's
statement to this one, but that may be different in countries where
the government copyright agency doesn't use 'in the public domain' to
mean it's available to the general public.

It's not 'really' standardised, it is used however by some big
projects, e.g. Wikipedia, to release stuff as PD. Also as I said it's
something along the lines of that, not that exact wording.

I would just recommend to anyone who wants to PD something to just put
a 'No Rights Reserved' license, as it is legally unambiguous and works
in pretty much all jurisdictions.

--
Andrew Donnellan
http://andrewdonnellan.com