Re: Changing license

Am Samstag, 2. September 2006 17:58 schrieb Patryk Cisek:
> Hello,
>
> I'm packaging Kadu program (www.kadu.net) for Debian and Ubuntu right now.
> There's a problem with Kadu's license (GPLv2 or later), which conflicts
> OpenSSL's license. When  project started, upstream authors where not aware
> of the conflict, so they didn't add a proper exception. However, now
> they're not sure if they can add this exception now. Many contributors have
> submitted patches over time and, as upstream and I understand, copyright
> holders for those patches are the contributors. So does Kadu's upstream
> have to ask authors of all applied patches (which is simply not possible,
> because there's no contact with many of them any more) for a permission to
> change the license? Well, they have rights to their patches, but copyright
> holder for Kadu is  Kadu Team
> (http://www.kadu.net/wiki/index.php/English:Authors). Could someone,
> please, clarify this?
>
> --
> Patryk Cisek
Hi,

I looked at the sources just to check if I can help. I ported my
C++-application (tntnet) from openssl to gnutls to fix the license-problem as
Kari Pahula suggested here (and me). But I found out, that all openssl-checks
are commented out in configure.ac and this comment:

# Maybe it will be back when GG servers have SSL support finally
#echo "   OpenSSL encryption support:         $have_openssl"

Still my suggestion to the team to look into my tntnet-sources
(www.tntnet.org) for GnuTLS-support in C++. I wrote a wrapper based on
std::iostream for both openssl and gnutls.

Tommi