Re: Hypocrisy of Debian (was: Sorry, no more RC bugs for non-free data in main ...)

On 8/31/06, Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> wrote:
This one time, at band camp, Markus Laire said:
> So they've been doing this for 2 years, and have included
> non-DFSG-free cdrtools in main while doing so? They even shipped Sarge
> with this known non-DFSG-free package in main?
>
> IMHO cdrtools should've been removed from main while this process was
> underway.

Feel free to do some work on the problem, instead of just insulting
people and grandstanding.

I shortly considered that, but I don't know enough of cd-burning to be
able to fork such a project. Now that someone else has done the
forking, I might be able to help.

> Do you have any link/source to support the claim that this will be
> fixed for etch?
> I havn't found any such information. Is there a public
> source-code-repository for this fork?

Have you looked?  It's been announced in several places.

I'm following few mailing-lists and bug #377109. Where I should've looked?

In bug #377109 it was said that "A good free replacement is needed,
but that clearly won't hit etch..." and in another message "Yeah. Im
waiting until we have the free fork replacement ready (slowly working
on it), cdrtools will go out when that goes in."

But since I read from some other place (don't remember where) that
there has been several tries to fork cdrtools and none have succeeded,
I wasn't sure how real that "slowly working on it" comment was.

Also it seemed clear from those comments that Etch was clearly out of
the question.

> >Please don't start throwing around insulting terms like "hypocrisy" -
> >they're not going to gain you any friends, nor are they going to
> >encourage people to devote their valuable time to Free Software
> >projects.
>
> If my comments about "hypocrisy" are true, then I don't care about
> "friends" whom I might lost because of speaking the truth. Then it
> would also be appropriate for people to be discouraged from devoting
> their valuable time to "hypocritical" Free Software projects.
>
> If I was wrong, then I can only apologize and try to be more carefull
> in the future.

First, I guess you owe Steve and Eduard apologies.

Yes, I apologize. It seems I was wrong in this case and this is being worked on.

Second, it's not
particularly helpful to tell people that are actually working on a
problem that they are hypocritical or just 'claiming' to work on
something.  If you feel that this is a problem, get involved and work
on it, instead of slinging mud at people.

I wasn't aware of anything but a single claim on bug #377109 comments.

As I said above, I don't think I'd be able to fork such a project, so
I was unsure about what I could do, if anything.

--
Markus Laire