Re: Hypocrisy of Debian (was: Sorry, no more RC bugs for non-free data in main ...)

Markus Laire writes:
>On 8/31/06, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>
>> In the end, those same maintainers
>> have given up on that as a lost cause and instead have started work on
>> a free cdrtools fork that will ship in etch instead of cdrtools.
>
>Do you have any link/source to support the claim that this will be
>fixed for etch?
>I havn't found any such information. Is there a public
>source-code-repository for this fork?

svn://svn://svn.debian.org/debburn/nonameyet/

The maintainers (particularly Eduard Bloch) have been working hard on
this for the last couple of weeks, and we're hoping the result should
hit unstable in the next week.

>(I know that forking was mentioned at [1] but I havn't seen anything
>more substantial)
>
>[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=377109
>
>> Please don't start throwing around insulting terms like "hypocrisy" -
>> they're not going to gain you any friends, nor are they going to
>> encourage people to devote their valuable time to Free Software
>> projects.
>
>If my comments about "hypocrisy" are true, then I don't care about
>"friends" whom I might lost because of speaking the truth. Then it
>would also be appropriate for people to be discouraged from devoting
>their valuable time to "hypocritical" Free Software projects.
>
>If I was wrong, then I can only apologize and try to be more carefull
>in the future.

Then I'd suggest you do *exactly* that. Speaking for myself, I can
definitely say that being publically abused *while in the middle of
fixing these issues* does bad things for motivation. What have *you*
done to help, apart from claiming we're hypocritical?

"I suspect most samba developers are already technically insane... Of
 course, since many of them are Australians, you can't tell." -- Linus Torvalds