Re: LGPL-library (tntdb) linked with GPL-library (mysql)

On 8/26/06, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Markus Laire wrote:
> On 8/25/06, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> >No; the LGPL is always compatible with the GPL. [You can always
> >remove the LGPL from code licensed under it and redistribute it
> >under the GPL.]
>
> Are you sure?

Yes. Allow me to quote from the LGPL:

> Because according to your interpretation I would be able to use
> *any* GPL:ed library using the terms of LGPL with this simple trick:

You are misunderstanding my interpretation.

> 1. Take a GPL:ed library
> 2. Create LGPL:ed library which uses the GPL:ed library, and offers
> the exact same functionality.
> 3. Use the created LGPL:ed library instead of the original one, to get
> exact same functionality without (some) restrictions of the GPL.

This requires complying with the GPL because you are creating a
derivative work of the GPLed work.

But isn't this exactly what the original poster asked: Can you LGPL a
program (tntdb) which links with GPL:ed program (mysql)?

First you answered that it's OK to use LGPL for tntdb even if it links
with mysql.
Now you are saying the reverse, that it's not OK to use LGPL for tntdb
if it links with mysql.

The LGPL is compatible with the GPL because it can become the GPL. The
reverse is not true, which is what your example is proposing.

IMHO, the original question was about the reverse, and so your answer was wrong.

--
Markus Laire