Re: [Fwd: Debian and CDDL and DFSG]

George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:

> The venue could make significant difference here, because the licensor could
> be terribly wrong in one jurisdiction and correct in another.

That's a problem with choice of law, not choice of venue.

> Furthermore you can hadly measure whether the licensor is evil or not,
> and can not just rely on his good faith.

And that's an argument in favour of not shipping any software at all.

> This kind of 'moving sands' via patch clauses are quite similar to
> GFDL's invariant sections which Debian considers non-free.

They're about as similar to invariant sections as I am. Keeping the
variable sections of a license separate and easy to locate is useful -
look at the vast number of slightly different versions of the 4-clause
BSD, and how as a result there's a need to check that it's actually the
same license in all cases rather than having been subtly modified.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org