Re: [Fwd: Debian and CDDL and DFSG]

Marcel Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> I do not understand why you need choice of venue.  Unless we know how
> that venue treats absent defendants, any ambiguous terms in the licence
> and some other things, it looks rather like a licensor trying to get
> some advantage, such as being able to use their usual legal team against
> a smaller defendant and stopping that defendant being judged by their
> own state's people when appropriate.  As you note, it isn't usual for
> free software licences to specify venue, as there are other agreements
> which do that.  Why is choice of venue needed?

(Small copyright holder with limited resources, large company with no
business presence in copyright holder's state, copyright violation, but
I think we've had this conversation before)

> The particular choice of Santa Clara County, California for opensolaris
> scares me - after all, it's where Adobe of freesklyarov.org fame chooses
> as venue for its licence disputes.

It's where Sun are based, so it's hardly surprising.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org