Re: Debian and CDDL and DFSG

Hi Goeorge,

George Danchev wrote On 2006-08-09 12:11,:

Ok, I have some questions for you, seems like you should be able to give an authoritative answer (this does not make CDDL 1.0 non-free, of course):

I will try, my answer is not authoritative, but based on what I read and how I understand it

* Is CDDL 1.0 incompatible with GPL v2 ?

could you explain what you mean by incompatibile? to my understanding GPL is only compatibile with itself and less strict licenses, CDDL is pretty much on the same line of strictness as GPL.

* If it is incompatible, what makes it incompatible and why it has been done that way?

it has been done that way to allow you to

- develop commercial software based on a CDDL based product (you can do this with APL, with LGPL, but not with GPL) - combination of CDDL + private source code files

- allow opensourcing effort of opensolaris (lot of code under various IP rights that can't be relicensed to GPL because of non-existance of original IP holders)

see [1] for more info

Thanks for your replies.

just my .2 cents,
Martin