Re: New GPLv3 and LGPLv3 discussion drafts available

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 03:16:26PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
> "Nathanael Nerode" <neroden@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

>> There's a lot of complicated wording changes from the first draft
>> of the GPL v.3.

>> You know where to leave your comments (http://gplv3.fsf.org/) --
>> but if there are any DFSG-freeness issues in the new drafts, please
>> bring them up here as well so we can try to hash out whether they
>> really are.

> Note that the fact that that DFSG 10 may make GPLv3 free regardless
> of other violations, because "GPL" is used without version
> information.

That interpretation would be *very* distasteful to me. My
interpretation is that it refers to the version of the GPL that was
current at time the text was written, or possibly also all past
versions. If version 10 of the GNU GPL discriminates against employees
of ${COMPANY}, it is non-DFSG free. If your interpretation were
common, I would propose an amendment to clarify it.

On the other hand, I don't see Debian surviving in its current form if
glibc, etc were to become non-DFSG free, unless there is a wide
collaboration between GNU/Linux distributions to fork the bunch at the
last free version (like with xfree86/xorg), or we develop the
resources to maintain the fork ourselves or ...

--
Lionel