Re: New GPLv3 and LGPLv3 discussion drafts available

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
> I wish it were so easy!
> The FSF claim that a horribly non-free license (the GFDL) is a "free
> documentation license" (it's claimed in its very name!), they can also
> claim that the GPLv3 with this permission to add restrictions is
> "similar in spirit to the" GPLv2.
> Whether this is true or not is of very little importance: I doubt that a
> court can be successfully convinced that a work released under the GPL
> "v2 or later" cannot be used under the GPLv3, on the basis of this
> betrayal of the spirit of GPLv2...   :-(

I don't believe courts will be relevant in this regard.  I had in mind
the problem that will arise when package maintainers "fix" packages by
changing the copy of the GPL which may be included with packages.

Besides this, is also the nuisance that I find with various packages
putting GPL licenses on non-GPL programs which I maintain.
This will just add another twist to it.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net