Re: New GPLv3 and LGPLv3 discussion drafts available

"Andrew Donnellan" <ajdlinux@gmail.com> wrote in message [🔎] 1007a32a0607281624j5efe57cbp69207b9512f6b2ed@mail.gmail.com">news:[🔎] 1007a32a0607281624j5efe57cbp69207b9512f6b2ed@mail.gmail.com...
>versions to play those DVDs.  If the work communicates with an online
service, it must be possible for modified versions to communicate with
the same online service in the same way such that the service cannot
distinguish.)  A key need not be included in cases where use of the

This is bad for services where use of a modified client is disallowed
or detrimental to other users, e.g. let's say there is a GPL3 game
that uses a centralised server to play against other players. Under
this section any modified clients have the keys needed to connect to
the server in a way that is indistinguishable, so I could modify it
and add cheat codes and other controversial things and under this
section they would not be able to distinguish me and ban me.

But on the other hand, I need the key to run my modified version that runs
on a computer with two moniters. See how this can go both ways?
The only way to prevent cheating in online games is to move virtually all
game logic to the server side. If anything important is running on the client side,
the client CAN cheat. The alternative is to use something like the TPM.
I really don't think that is a good idea.