Re: shc -- #335278 broken packaging -- non-DD NMU prepared

On Saturday 01 July 2006 08:41, Joe Smith wrote:
> <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote in message
>
> > On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 12:58:59AM +0200, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> >> /**
> >>  * 'Alleged RC4' Source Code picked up from the news."
> >>  * From: allen@gateway.grumman.com (John L. Allen)"
> >>  * Newsgroups: comp.lang.c"
> >>  * Subject: Shrink this C code for fame and fun"
> >>  * Date: 21 May 1996 10:49:37 -0400"
> >>  */
>
> That message subject strongly implies that Mr. Allen has no problem with
> people distributing (potentially modified) versions of the code in that
> message. On the other hand, There is a good possibility that he does not
> own the rights to the code.
>

> Anyway, it is very very easy to re-implement arcfour. That is the very
> reason why that was chosen as the cipher for ciphersaber.
> In fact, There is an rc4 implementation in the oublic domain, as part of a
> ciphersaber implmentation available at:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20040326065243/www.xs4all.nl/~cg/ciphersaber/com
>p/c.txt

Thanks for your encouragement ;-) I just was not sure in myself I could do it
right ;-) Fortunately Brian Carlson stepped up and was fast enough to sent me
a patch - a clean-room implementation of Alleged RC4 (ARC4). Thanks a lot
Brian and to the rest of you for your suggestions! One more package survived
removal, one more RC-bug has been erased [TM]!

I hope that Alexander Schmehl is still willing to check it out and upload.
Should anything still to be corrented I'm willing to do so. The new RC4
implementation is documented in debian/copyright, along with the match script
as well (that were the points Alexnder raised in his last reviewing).

dget
ftp://ftp.logos-bg.net/debian-addons-bg/dists/unstable/shc/shc_3.7.dfsg-1_i386.changes

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB