Re: MPEG-4 patent license issues - libfaad* and libx264* and other codecs.

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le samedi 29 avril 2006 à 23:37 +0100, Matthew William Solloway Bell a
> écrit :
> > The packages libxine1, ffmpeg,  include libfaad*, libx264* or another
> > codec which implement the MPEG-4 Advanced Audio Coding and Advanced
> > Video Coding standards.
>
> I have already stated this: Debian shouldn't have anything to do
> with regard to patents. We should entirely ignore them unless
> directly threatened, and such issues that depend so much on the
> country should be up to the end-user to deal with.

Like it or not, we can't completely ignore them in Debian. Each mirror
operator needs to make their own decisions about their liability in
their own country, but Debian itself needs to be careful about
distributing works which have patents in the United States[1] where
the patent holders are well known and have been inolved in patent
litigation against individuals using their patents.

Don Armstrong

1: We only care about that because that's where the primary mirrors
are located.
--
[Panama, 1989. The U.S. government called it "Operation Just Cause".]
I think they misspelled this. Shouldn't it be "Operation Just 'Cause"?