Re: Tremulous packages

"Heretik" <heretik@tuxfamily.org> wrote in message [🔎] 1146079342.6940.19.camel@localhost.localdomain">news:[🔎] 1146079342.6940.19.camel@localhost.localdomain...
Hi list,

I ITP Tremulous for Debian
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=363581) and have some
license concerns.

I have one source package and three binary packages : tremulous,
tremulous-data and tremulous-server

Here are the licenses :

- The main code is GPL : no problem

- The datas are CC-share-alike : non-free. They intend to relicense them
to CC 2.5+ then CC 3 when it will be out though, which will make them
debian-free.

- There is a not-free-at-all media license exception, but the author
agreed to change the license to CC as the other medias. He wrote an
email to the Tremulous maintainer for this, so I think it's ok to say
it's CC right now. The new relicensing is not included in my source
archive, but as he gave his agreement, I think I can just remove this
exception from the license file in my archive.

A simple clarification from the copyright holders that they will not be enforcing any of the problematic clauses, along with the promise to upgrade to the newer versions of CC when possible should qualify them as free. (We let Mozilla get away with this durring the tre-licencing). So simply get the clarification.

- There are some tools needed to compile some of the sources. Here is
their license :

"""
[Snip]

The parts about not being able to sell it are non-free, I think.
I don't intend to package them, but i have to include them in the source
package. The Makefile, called by the rules file, builds them and then
uses them to build the game. As they don't appear in the binary package,
I don't know if it makes the whole non-free of not.

That licence is intended to be FSF-free, but it is clearly not DFSG-free.

If even one component of the source package is non-free then the binaries are non-free. The only way to get arround this is to use non-pristine sources,
or split the sources.

Since the game build-depends on non-free stuff then it could only be in contrib, unless somebody writes free replacements
for the utilities.

As I have a single source package, and the datas are it in, is it right
to put the other packages in contrib (if the tools consideration permits
it) or do I have to make a separate source package for the datas (and
for the tools maybe) ?

Get the copyright clarifications and then split the source into two:
* Game + Data (CONTRIB) [This would generate the main binaries]
* Build-stuff (NON-FREE) [This would build (a) package(s) for the non-free utils, which the Contrib packages would build-depend on).

If you can get upstream to replace the problematic build tools
with free ones, then you will be able to transition the game into main.