Re: MPL and Source Code

On 02 Apr 2006 08:15:50 -0400
Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:

..deleted

> This is not the only issue with the MPL -- as Mike Hommey recently
> reminded -legal, there are others[1].  GPL section 3(b) is considered
> non-free in itself, but it is one of several options; a distributor
> may satisfy the GPL by making the work's source code available at the
> same time and in the same place as the object code.
>
> [1]- http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/06/msg00221.html

I've just read the email reference above.

IANAL, but I disagree with the points made. I say this has someone who
has been distrbuting software under the MPL for nearly 7 years :)

The problems with 2.1 are avoided by choosing not to distribute any MPL
work that has patent encumbrances. Note that any such encumbrances must
be announced (see 3.4).

The MPL has the same requirement as the GPL regard distribution, i.e.
distrbution of source on the same same media fulfills the license terms.
For electronic distrbution, the terms are met by the historical nature
of the SVN repository. Compare this to the GPL which requires source
code to be available on demand for three years after release.

3.4 is handled by the same means as above. In the case of submarine
patents, I don't see why this is any more a problem for MPL works than
any other work.

The specification of a venue only applies if one party is in the US. In
any case, anyone can be sued by anyone else in any venue. You could be
just as easily sued by someone in London as in Santa Clara - why does
this clause add a specific burden?

   Craig

 Craig Southeren          Post Increment ? VoIP Consulting and Software
 craigs@postincrement.com.au                   www.postincrement.com.au

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren@hotmail.com
 Mobile: +61 417231046

 "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile.
  Be yourself, no matter what they say."   Sting