Re: Affero General Public License

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:51:45AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> wrote:
> > vorlon@debian.org wrote:
> > >Well, the discussion in March 2003 on debian-legal included the input of an
> > >ftpmaster who disagrees, so this definitely isn't a case of a fringe
> > >minority on -legal holding sway.  That doesn't mean Debian can't reconsider
> >
> > debian-legal in 2003 *was* a fringe minority in itself.
>
> "A fringe minority" just because it didn't include Marco d'Itri, voice
> of the let-borderline-in extreme fringe...
>
> Instead, you can look at the archives and see the whole range, including
> RMS, James Troup, Ean Schussler, John Goerzen, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS and more.
>
> Please stop repeating the fringe lie. -legal is open to all. It's just
> not easy to assert "this is free" here when it looks like it's not.

He even claims[1] that the reason GR2004-003 passed was due to "deception"
by the drafter--as if the topic wasn't the subject of thousands of mails in
some of the loudest threads in recent Debian history, and as if developers
are so gullible as to pass, with supermajority, changes to the foundation
documents after only reading the subject line.

I'm glad that's not the case; it prevents fringe minorities like Marco from
sneaking through a GR to abolish the DFSG.  It's also why I'm confident that
the latest attempt to force non-free GFDL works into Debian will fail.

His claims that d-legal isn't representative of Debian is particularly thin,
given that he's essentially claiming that even a GR isn't representative.
I guess it makes perfect sense, though, if you work from the assumption
that Marco's opinion can't possibly be in the minority.

Anyway, sorry for the noise.  I figured I'd get my grumping about Marco done
with for a while, and do it where it'd be threaded away with someone else's.

[1] Message-ID: <20060209085909.GA6144@wonderland.linux.it>

--
Glenn Maynard