Re: Affero General Public License

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Florian Weimer wrote:
>It seems that web.py does not include the source transmission facility
>mentioned in the AGPL.  As a result, the additional clause is void,
>and the license should be DFSG-free.

As noted by Mark Rafn, a derivative work which added the source transmission
facility would suddenly be non-free.  Even if the author of the source
transmission facility did not want to apply the restriction.  I couldn't find
any way around it.

I don't think this is a free restriction.  It's certainly a hideously ugly
restriction.

This unique problem arises from two things: this license is a copyleft; and
clause (d) applies if the "Program as you received it" satisfies certain
requirements.  In contrast, clause (c) applies if the *modified* program
satisfies certain requirements.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden@twcny.rr.com>

Theocracy, fascism, or absolute monarchy -- I don't care which it is, I don't
like it.