Re: Distributing GPL software.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:42:06PM +0000, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> >It's easy. Modify or not. Let a friend of yours burn a CD. Acquire it from
> >him without any "I agree" manifestations of [L]GPL acceptance, and
> >redistribute it (i.e. that acquired CD) under any restrictive contractual
> >T&C you want (nothing but forbearance, for example).
>
> I'm not sure I understand this. Could you explain please?
> T&C means "Terms and Conditions", right?

Terekhov has an 'interesting' interpretation of copyright which
involves pretending it doesn't exist. I recommend you not do this (or
at least not without asking your lawyer first, who will probably say
"no fucking way").

Getting drawn into a discussion with him is probably a waste of your
time.

[And for reference, the doctrine of first sale is typically held to
apply only when (amongst other things) (a) the work is sold, and (b)
the work is not licensed in a manner that restricts transfer of
ownership - neither of which are the case here].

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |